G's Funk

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Clarification

So I don't know why I'm going to do this, but I feel the need to explain what this blog is all about. Stemming from emails I received about yesterday's post about the Goo Goo Dolls, it seems that some people just don't get it. So here it is. The clarification of what the G's Funk blog is trying to do.

The goal here is to provide people with an alternative to listening to galgalatz. That's it. I'm not trying to prove my indie cred by talking about obscure bands or trying to predict the next rock stars. I'm simply recommending artists, albums and songs that most musical palettes would enjoy. I have been focusing recently on new albums that have made a dent in either the Billboard charts or critical reviews, but I don't intend to do just that. I'm also going to talk about artists that I enjoy listening to and my musical taste has a wide range, including cheesy pop music. I see nothing wrong with pop music. I'm not embarrassed to say it. I think Pink is talented. I like the sound that comes out of Sean Paul's mouth. I can't get enough of the new Shakira song. Daniel Powter's Bad Day is one of the best songs I've heard on the radio in a long time (until galgalatz ruined it for me). And although there was no way in hell I was going to go to her show, I think Kelly Clarkson is incredibly talented. My goal here is to present alternatives to people who normally would gravitate to music such as these.

So while we're on the subject of music that I listen to that people make fun of, let's talk about one of my all time favorite musicians, Lisa Loeb.

The Jewish Singer/Songwriter from Dallas, Texas has in addition to her five studio albums and two reality TV shows, the distinction of being the only unsigned artist to score a #1 single on the US charts. That song, Stay (I Miss You) from the Reality Bites soundtrack) launched her career and her life in the public eye.

Lisa has spent the past 10+ years artfully crafting her unique brand of pop/folk music. Her songs are sweet and her voice is dynamic. She has a gift for matching her sensitive lyrics with equally delicate music. Songs like Take Me Back, Hand Me Down, Did That, She's Falling Apart and Do You Sleep are mere examples of the talent that runs through her veins.

Lisa's music portrays the need she clearly has for wearing her heart on her sleeve. Her lyrics are honest and thoughtful, caring and delicate. Her music is folky at times, hard rocking at others. She travels through the hills and valleys of tempo like a master trekker hiking across Nepal.

And to top it all off, she's single and looking to get married. Her recent reality show on E! #1 Single documented the troubles a Jewish single girl has trying to date in New York City (when followed by a TV crew). The show is as entertaining as the music is.
Recommended songs: Stay (I Miss You), Take Me Back, Hand Me Down, Did That, She's Falling Apart and Do You Sleep

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home