G's Funk

Sunday, May 07, 2006

I Be Blogging

So here it is. I've finally succumb to the pressure of life in 2006 and decided to start a blog. I know, I know, I've been pretty adamant about my hatred of blogs, but fuck it. People have been asking me for a while to write a blog about the music that I listen to, so I feel as a matter of public service I'll begrudgingly accept that responsibility.

So this blog will be just that. A place where I'll talk about the music I listen to and like. I'll try to limit the random ranting and raving about my thoughts and my life. Because who really cares to hear that? If you want to hear a meaningless or useless opinion on life you can read any number of other blogs. If you want a listing of pointless internet drivel, I can forward you to a couple blogs written by friends of mine. They are great for that.

So that brings me to the next disclaimer, I'm really not a nice person. On occasion I'm going to be mean, maybe even nasty, possibly I'll be straddling that line of being an asshole. If you have a problem with that, if your offended by it, or if its aimed at you, stop reading. That’s really the beauty of the internet. If there is something you don't like, the most powerful thing you can do is to just stop reading. But I will try not to mention people by name, I feel like thats the line between being an asshole and being a horrible human being. I don't think I'm a horrible human being, but this could be the chance I get to prove that theory wrong.

So like I said before, this blog will be primarily about music, music I like and think people will like too. If you disagree with me on a particular subject I feel is less than stellar, let me know and I promise to give it a second listen. And I ask you to do the same. Sometimes a song or an album can sound better only on a fourth or fifth listen. And if there is some song or artist out there that you think should be listened to, let me know and I'll give it a listen. The whole goal here is to try to expand everyone's music playlists, mine as well.

So this seems long enough for an intro. I'll just leave you with three more things. Two musicians I think everyone should take a listen to, and short story. Oh, for those of you who know me, I love telling stories. Its bound to happen here in my posts.

So, the first is a guy named Joshua Radin(http://www.myspace.com/joshuaradin). He's a bit folky, but real powerful. His first full length album is coming out in June, but he's got an EP out and some songs are available on itunes to download. I compel everyone to give it a listen. His songs have already been featured on Scrubs and Grey's Anatomy, two shows who are known for their use of (and taste in) music. Recommended song: Closer

So for anyone who's been listening to me talk in the past couple of weeks knows that I've been listening to a lot of funk lately and I feel like I'd be remiss if I didn't tell everyone to listen to Stevie Wonder. Seriously. If all you know of the man is "I just called to say I love you" then you are doing yourself a disservice. The man is a genius. I'd gladly trade my ability to see to see what he can. His grooves are solid and his ability to mesh instruments and musicians seamlessly makes me a little skeptical that he really is so blind. His songs have been covered by so many different and diverse groups and he's touting as such an important music source that he should be short-listed as one of the foundations of the music we listen to today. For some reason though, he doesn't get that recognition. For the life of me, I can't understand it.
Recommended songs: Sir Duke, Higher Ground, Part Time Lover and Living For the City.

So this post seems long enough for now. I'll save the story for another time.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home