G's Funk

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

What's wrong with today, today?

So I was actually not planning to post today. Even though I didn't post yesterday and Monday's post sucked (according to at least one person who loves to throw his two cents into every conversation about music even though I doubt he's ever listened to a song that isn't easily identifiable as brit pop or appears on the UK indie charts). Truth is, I haven't been feeling so well lately so I didn't feel much like spending time in front of my computer. But I decided to get off my lazy ass and walk the foot and a half from my couch to my computer to write about music. So, I'm going to write, but keep it short.

With no research whatsoever done on the subject, I'm going to boldly predict that one of the most underrated American band over the past 10 years has got to be the Goo Goo Dolls. Although they've had a string of hits over the course of time, they don't come to mind when topics such as "Best American Band Over The Past 10 Years" are discussed. And why not? They seem to have all the components of a successful band. Awesome lyrics, awesome guitar hooks, an awesome pop sound, a lead singer that a lot of girls think is awesomely hot, awesomely powerful ballads, and an awesome array of number 1 singles. I don't need to add all those adjectives up to tell you what thier sum is.

Sadly though, the Goo Goo's new album Let Love In won't propel the band into the status of Oasis, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Matchbox 20 or any other of thier contemporaries. It's not because the new album isn't good, which is it, but it’s not anything different than the band has produced so far. It's the same damn thing we’ve all heard before.

Better Days, Stay With You and Give a Little Bit (a cover of the Supertramp song) have already charted on the US pop charts and Let Love In, probably the strongest song on the album, is currently rising the chart. These songs all sound well written, with that undertone of longing that the Goo Goo's have used for years to propel people to buy thier albums. Like most of thier albums, the songs here are either hard-rock ballads or slow punk tunes, as always, depending on whether guitarist/vocalist Johnny Rzeznik writes the song or bassist Robby Takac does. But also like the bulk of thier music catalog, the songs are good.

With this album, the Goo Goo Dolls take another step into a successful music career, just not a step into greatness.
Recommended Songs: Let Love In, Better Days, Feel The Silence

When I was thinking about writing this piece, I was going to talk about the new Live album along with the Goo Goo Dolls one. But I think I saw both bands on tour together at PNC in like 1998 or something. Figured it would be too cheesy to combine them, and I haven't really had the time to listen to the Live album yet anyways. Too bad. But expect it.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home