G's Funk

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Smells Like The Mid-90's

Can I just say I love doing this Blog. Thanks to everyone who reads it and sends me music. I've been so inundated with new music that I've spent most of the past two days listening to new stuff, and I'm loving it. I'm so backlogged with things to talk about that I've actually made a list and grouped bands to talk about based on my own thoughts. It’s wild stuff.

So enough of the music lessons, sorry about that the past couple days, but those were just thoughts in my head that I thought needed to get out. On to some new music.

I've chosen today, Thursday, to talk about three news albums by three old bands. The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam and Tool all have albums that have been burning up the charts.

Galgalatz, along with MTV and pretty much every modern music radio station in the world has put Dani California on their heavy play list. And for good reason, it sounds not unlike every other Red Hot Chili Peppers song, complete with California-based lyrics (what’s the deal with that anyways?). What separates the double album Stadium Arcadium apart from their previous releases, though, is that along with the fusion of funk, punk and rock they have fine-tuned their song writing skills. The hooks are solid, the lyrics are tight, the solos are intriguing, the grooves are abundant and the pop is noticeable in the right amount. Even the ballads, which I think have long thought to be their strongest sound, are seemingly raised to higher level. If you aren’t impressed with Dani California, don't worry, its not even close to the best song on the albums.
Recommended songs: Snow (Hey Oh), Stadium Arcadium, Desecration Smile and Strip My Mind

Pearl Jam's new self-titled release debuted on the Billboard charts securely in the number 2 spot, fueled by their obsessive fan base and the barrage of critical acclaim. I've never been a fan of Pearl Jam's sound. The layered guitars and barely audible lyrics always seemed to me more like noise than intricately composed songs. This isn't to say that I don't enjoy the occasional Pearl Jam song that is clearly a masterfully created work of audio genius (like Black, Yellow Leadbelly, and Last Kiss). I give the band their due, I accept that their music is good music, I just don't personally happen to enjoy it.

This being said, I didn't find anything special about their new album. The songs seem to drag on without a sense of musical purpose, the guitar works seem uninspired and when Eddie Vedder sings clearly enough to be understood, the lyrics aren’t poignant. With songs called World Wide Suicide, Unemployment, Army Reserve, and Life Wasted, Pearl Jam clearly had a political agenda in mind when creating this album. Maybe had they focused more on the music than their message the album would have been better.
Recommended songs: World Wide Suicide, the album's single, is barely identifiable as a recommended song.

Tool is another popular mid-90's band that I never really appreciated, even though I listened to Punk, Industrial and Heavy Metal music during that time, I could never wrap my head around their sound. It was too raw for me. Despite this and even though I find my musical taste much softer now, more folkish, I was floored when I first listened to their new album 10,000 Days. 10,000 Days is an example of the perfection of sound that Pearl Jam reached for, but didn't achieve. The energy that this band creates overwhelms their hard edge. The melodic sound and carefully crafted compositions form an overall sound that's intoxicating. On 10,000 Days, the band regularly flips between their hard outer shell and their soft under belly, creating a sound that is powerful and sweet, forceful and relenting. For anyone who can stomach the constant beat of a heavy double drum beat, the layered distortion and the unintelligible lyrics you will find the pearl lying inside the shell.
Recommended songs: Vicarious, 10,000 Days (Wings part 2), and Intension

1 Comments:

  • You smell like the 90's and you start too many paragraphs with "so..."

    But I'll still be your friend e

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at May 12, 2006 7:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home